When life is busy, preparing food ahead of time is the best way to keep yourself covered. However much I love cooking, spending a whole Sunday in the kitchen isn’t my idea of a relaxing or fun weekend. So having meals such as this, is a great option. It’s quick, easy and can be chucked in the freezer ready for a busy week. I love the comforting feel about this meal, it’s one for a rainy and wet day but with the colour from the sweet potato it’s sure to add a little brightness into your day! I’ve opted for black beans instead of mince meat, to keep it meat free. But you could also change it up, using different types of beans. The more creative you can get in the kitchen, the more enjoyable the process becomes. If you’ve tried this, loved it or hated it. Come and let me know, by tagging me @oliviafurner or #oliviafurner across all socials.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2x 400g tin black beans
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- Large splash of balsamic vinegar
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 900g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2x tbsp butter (I use Pure to keep it dairy free)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove minced, or 1 tsp Lazy garlic
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the oil and spices. Leave to warm for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onion, and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the stock, tomato purée and balsamic and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, place the lid on top and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes by placing them into a pan of boiling water. Cook until soft, approx 10-15 minutes.
- Now you can preheat the oven, to 180 fan/200 degrees.
- Once the timer has finished for the carrot pan, add the black beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, add the butter and mash well, then set aside.
- Add the black bean mix to large oven proof dish, and top with the sweet potato. You can use a fork to spread evenly, and add a pattern if you’re feeling fancy!
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, keep and eye to ensure it doesn’t spill over the top.
- Once it’s browned slightly, take out the oven and enjoy!