Eggs are mine, along with a lot of other people, go to breakfast. Especially if you’re looking for protein rich, low carb options. So, as I’ve been participating in Veganuary I had to find an alternative. I can assure you, I found one and it’s so tasty it’ll be staying around once February comes along! I’m sure you’ll love it just as much as I do, even if you’re not abstaining from animal products. Give it a try, and be sure to let me know your thoughts!
Serves: 1-2 (depends on how hungry you’re feeling) | Time: 10-15 minutes
- 150g firm tofu
- 1 garlic clove or 1 tsp lazy garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 large handfuls of kale
For The Sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
- tsp olive oil
- Place the tofu onto a plate, and cover with kitchen paper, then place a heavy object on top. Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Now you can prepare the vegetables. Dice the onion and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat a large pan and add the oil, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add the pepper, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Once the kitchen paper has absorbed a lot of the liquid from the tofu, remove and roughly chop into small chunks.
- Turn up the heat, and add the tofu. Cook this for 6-8 minutes, you want the tofu to brown.
- Meanwhile, whip up the sauce. Add the ingredients to a jug, and mix well. If it’s too thick, add a dribble of cold water and mix again.
- Finish by adding the kale, and sauce into the pan. Mix everything together, ensuring the sauce has coated all the veggies and tofu.
- You’re now ready to plate up, and tuck in!