I had initially intended to make gingerbread men, and made the school boy error of not getting all my ingredients out prior to baking! I soon realised I didn’t have any ginger, just the empty glass. So going with what I had, plus a few ideas to jazz the cookies up I ended up with these beauties. Whilst not the healthiest of my recipes, sometimes you just need good old fashioned bakes with all the refined sugars! If you loved these as much as I did, please do let me know by shouting out to me online @oliviafurner.
- 350g oats
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g vegan butter
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp + 3 tbsp water)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 80g sultanas (optional)
For the drizzle
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 85g granulated sugar
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, and preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan oven). Make the flax eggs, and set aside to set.
- Add the oats to a blender or processor, blend until it forms a flour. Place into a separate bowl, and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and mix together, until it’s well combined.
- Now add the remaining ingredients to this bowl, and using a wooden spoon or electric whisk to bring everything together. It should bind well, but be slightly sticky to touch.
- Take tbsp sized measures of the cookie dough, and roll into a rough ball. Place onto the tray, and flatten. Repeat this process until you’ve used all the mixture. Cook in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden.
- Make the lemon drizzle: Add the lemon juice, and sugar into a small pan. Warm over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the cookies are out the oven, spoon or brush the lemon over the cookies whilst they’re still warm.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack, then tuck in!